The Best Dog Beds: Get One Soon To Make Your Dog Happy
Dogs are like people; they need a comfortable resting place that’s stable yet comfortable. Although some dogs sleep in crates and wooden dog houses, some like to sleep on beds. This is why if you’re getting a dog, you should consider finding the best dog bed for your pooch.Moreover, some breeds are quite choosy in where they sleep. Toy breeds usually need a more comfortable bed to sleep in compared to the larger working breeds. Stay tuned as we review some of the best products for your dog!
Why Dog Beds Are A Must: A Story Of Sleepless Nights
When I was still raising my puppies years ago, I had a lot of trouble making them sleep through the night. There are different factors that can make your dog sleep better at night. One of these is a good bed.
Our dogs need a stable space where they will feel safe and secure. You can call this as a sort of safe space for them. Although your house is usually your dog’s home, it will still need a sort of room to lessen its anxiety. By getting a dog bed, you’ll instantly solve this dilemma.
As for my dogs, they started sleeping on the floor with just a dog fence encased around them. My dogs struggled to sleep in this kind of system, even if I put their chew toys near them.
However, when I started placing a soft mattress on the floor, I noticed that my dogs started sleeping better.
After discovering this (well, I was a novice dog owner back then) I went to the nearest pet shop and searched for dog beds. There are different kinds out there, from simpler designs to more complicated ones. Ultimately, I bought the simplest one.
This dog bed was fluffy and had a feathery texture to it. It’s a simple rectangular pillow that my dogs absolutely love. Buying it was a smart investment. After all, it’s so heartwarming to see my dogs sleep in their beds at night as if they’re my kids!
Tips When Buying A Dog Bed
Before buying a dog bed, make sure to research well and consider a lot of things. This is almost similar to buying your bed, so don’t do it in a rush. One thing that you can do is to check different shops for variety.
Make sure to visit at least two pet shops so you can get to know about the different designs out there. Another excellent idea is to check product sites like Amazon.
You might not notice it, but different dog breeds have different sleeping habits. This is why different brands are making dog beds that specifically target a particular breed.
So why is it important to understand your dog’s breed when buying a bed? Well, as an example, imagine if your dog is a Maltese. These kinds of dogs usually have long hair unless you asked the groomer to trim it.
With that said, if you own this dog, the dog bed must have material suitable for their hair. This basically means that it should be soft with no small nets that could possibly knot your dog’s hair.
Another example is if your dog has problems with allergies. Some breeds are more susceptible to allergies, so make sure that you buy a bed that has skin-friendly material without much chemicals mixed into it.
The size of your dog will tell how big the bed should be. A good-sized bed should allow your dog to sleep with its spine fully stretched. If you think your dog needs to curl up to fit in the bed, that means you should look for a bigger one.
Besides the length, try to look for a bed that has a bigger surface area. This would allow your dog to turn while it is asleep, or to circle before settling it. If your dog has a large and long tail, make sure that the bed can accommodate it as well.
If you have a lot of puppies, you’ll also need to opt for a bigger bed. However, I highly suggest that you should buy a bed with a tall rim surrounding it. This will prevent your puppies from falling over the bed when they’re sleeping.
Material and Durability
When it comes to my dogs, sometimes they tend to wrangle and chew on their beds when they get pretty excited. Anything that you buy for your pooch must be durable since you’ll never know when they’ll stick their teeth in it.
Hence, buy something that’s knitted well. Some beds aren’t knitted and are produced as a whole, so that makes them even more durable. You can also check various beds that have materials where your dog can’t easily sink its teeth or claws in it.
Check if the bed is waterproof as well. Often times, our dogs leave their place to drink a little on their bowl. Once they return with a wet mouth, it could get messy so try to avoid that.
Another factor that you should consider is how smooth the material is. Run your fingers on it before buying. If you think the texture is something you’d want to sleep on, then go buy it. Dogs are just like us when it comes to the comfiness of their beds.
Examples of materials out there that top brands offer are foam, cotton, suede, polyethylene, polyester, and twill.
A dog bed with extra benefits will be a huge bargain. When we talk of the extras, these are the special features, the warranty, the added innovation, and more. For example, some dog beds have features that make them easier to wash compared to the others.
A dog bed can be designed with a zipper to make the bed removable and convenient when dropping it in the washing machine. On the other hand, others can be stored to be on the go like that of a sleeping bag. Oh! Don’t forget; longer warranty means a cheaper purchase!
Our Top 5 Picks
Gale Pacific’s Coolaroo Elevated Pet Bed comes with a knitted fabric to ensure your dog’s comfort. Its elevation and suspended platform create low impact areas to pressure points and joints while increasing airflow on all sides of the bed. This is perfect for summers to keep your pet cool.
Its fabric (which is mold, mildew, flea and mite resistant) is made from high-density polyethylene which makes it breathable. Gale Pacific also boasts of the bed’s easy to wash and maintain feature which makes it suitable for outdoors as well.
- It is very lightweight yet durable.
- Offering portability, it is ideal for when you want to bring it along on a trip or simply go outdoors.
- It is available in three sizes (small, medium, large) and five colors.
- It is very easy to assemble by yourself.
- Taller or bigger dogs might not be able to stretch out their bodies as much due to the sizing.
- You might find the assembly kit included a bit lacking.
On the contrary to the previous product, Animals Favorite Quilted Dog bed is made with Casablanca Fabric which makes the surface very soft for added comfort. However, its sizing is ideal for small dogs or puppies.
The elevated sides of the bed claim to help in promoting nesting instinct among dogs while keeping them draft free. Boasting of its high quality, Animals Favorite ensures you of an easy-to-clean and easy-to-maintain bed, having completely machine-washable materials.
- The quality of the material used does not easily wear out even with frequent washing.
- It is very soft and comfortable, even for puppies.
- No need for you to assemble anything.
- It is a bit small, especially for medium sized to big dogs.
- It does not come with any cover whatsoever.
Meanwhile, HappyCare’s Reversible Rectangle Pet Bed claims that you can use both sides of the bed instead of having to wash one side first before using it again. It is very soft and well cushioned, yet sturdy enough to be machine washable.
Sized 21 by 25 inches, HappyCare’s pet bed claims to be ideal for small to medium sized dogs, or even cats. And finally, it is available in six different colors for you to choose from.
- It does not produce static.This helps in reducing the amount of fur getting stuck in the fabric, especially during shedding season.
- The two sides have a different texture which makes it versatile. One side is more push which makes it suitable for winter or cold weather in general. The other side is smooth which makes it suitable for hot weather.
- It is very soft yet durable, making it hard to get worn out. This is ideal for pets who like lounging around in their beds for extended periods of time.
- It has no structure making it very soft/too soft for some dogs. If your dog is used to having/using beds with headrest, you might find this bed’s headrest a bit too soft.
- The sizing might be a bit disadvantageous for bigger dogs.
MidWest Homes’ Pet Bed comes in three versatile colors, suitable for almost any home interior. It also comes in seven different sizings: 18”, 22”, 24”, 30”, 36”, 42” and 48” inches. This makes it ideal for almost all dog sizes between small, medium to large.
Despite its ultra-soft synthetic fur texture, it claims to have a non-skid grip bottom which works well with hardwood/tile floored homes. But most importantly, it comes with a one year manufacturer’s warranty.
- Unlike other brands, it comes with a 1-year manufacturer warranty.
- The sizing is very flexible, even for larger dogs.The seven different sizings offer more choices for dog owners.
- The material used offers easy maintenance as it is machine washable.
- It is very soft yet durable. Even for dogs who tend to bite or chew on their beds.
- It does not come with a cover.
- Its cushioning and filling might get worn out a little, especially with heavier dogs.
Finally, PetFusion’s Pet Bed and Lounge is available in five different colors to suit your home’s interior. Its firm four inch memory foam base is advertised to give more comfort while reducing joint pains. It is also made with soft yet durable materials (65% Polyester and 35% Twill).
Without compromising on support and comfort, it is easy to clean, water and tear resistant pet bed with a non-skid bottom. But most importantly, it comes with a 12-month manufacturer warranty and a 30-day return policy.
- It is very easy to assemble. This is true even for first timers or beginners in assembling dog beds.
- The parts are removable/replaceable/detachable. This makes the bed easy to clean and maintain.
- It provides comfort without compromising support. It is firm and big enough even for larger and heavier dogs.
- The fabric might be a bit thin if you are used to thicker beds. Dogs who like to chew or bite on their beds might have a little problem with the fabric.
- The pet bed cover might not be as durable. You might find replacing it from time to time a bit of a hassle.
From all the factors to consider we’ve listed above, Animals Favorite Dog Bed might be a good option for you to start with. However, if you have a larger dog, PetFusion’s Pet Bed and Lounger might work better. Both brands offer enough comfort without compromising support.
However, it is important to note that whatever brand you choose, without proper care and maintenance, the dog bed won’t last long. That’s why proper maintenance is still a must.